Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The EMEA Legal and Compliance Department is charged with day-to-day oversight and coordination of the Firm's compliance with core regulatory requirements covering all businesses including Institutional Sales and Trading (fixed income, commodities, equities), Investment Banking, Research Investment Management and Private Wealth Management Business across the EMEA region.
Morgan Stanley's EMEA Legal and Compliance Department is seeking to hire a lawyer to be based in London to join the legal team whose primary coverage responsibility is the market- leading Investment Banking - ECM and M&A business of Morgan Stanley in EMEA.
- Primary role is to advise on (rather than execute) (i) public and private M&A transactions, where the Firm is acting as financial advisor, (ii) restructuring mandates, (iii) corporate broking/sponsor relationships and (iv) equity capital markets transactions, including:
Extensive interaction with the M&A, ECM and industry/sector banking teams and the corporate broking team
Review of engagement and execution documentation and guidance on deal structuring
Legal risk and liability management and protecting the Firm franchise - significant interaction with Investment Banking and Capital Markets management on escalation of legal and franchise risk issues, arising both on transactions but also from the general regulatory environment (e.g. senior manager, conduct, etc)
Assistance in relation to litigation/regulatory investigations
- The team is responsible for developing (together with US and Asian colleagues) local and Firm-wide policies applicable to the IBD business. The team also works closely with the Control Group and the broader Compliance function on policy, franchise and restricted list issues
- The geographic coverage of the team is pan-EMEA and it is expected to consider and advise on local issues, integration of local and international practices and on new developments in jurisdictions and their impact on Firm and market practice - close liaison with local legal teams in Frankfurt, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Moscow and Dubai
- Together with London Legal & Compliance colleagues, assist in developing and executing training programs for personnel in IBD/GCM and other groups as appropriate in relation to the business activities the team covers and the applicable policies and procedures
Skills required (essential)
Candidates should have substantial ECM/M&A experience with a US or UK law firm and/or investment bank. The candidates are expected to have 5-8 years' post qualified experience.
Candidates should have relevant experience in:
- Public and private M&A and ECM, including domestic and international ECM, M&A, joint venture arrangements and principal investments; solid background in company law; familiarity with takeover and listing requirements, listing/prospectus rules and market abuse/insider trading legislation
- Co-ordinating, managing and supervising a project with a team of colleagues and/or outside service providers
- Training and development programs
Essential Skills and Qualities
Candidates should possess the following skills and qualities:
- Professional confidence, presence and leadership skills
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong management, organisational and administrative skills
- Be a good team player
- Foreign language skills (French, Italian, and/or Spanish) would be helpful
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.*LI-FH1